Monday, March 9, 2009

Countdown

It's after 1 am on Tuesday morning.  Sometime today or possibly tomorrow, I get that phone call.  All itinerating Methodist clergy get the call.  It goes something like this, "The cabinet has met and under the guidance of the Holy Spirit have discerned you are to serve '_______' UMC."   I've received two of those calls so far in my ministry.  The first to my student appointment.  The second to my appointment as the associate pastor at St Paul UMC.  Now four years later, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, I move.  
I'm excited by the new that approaches.  I'm terrified by the unknown that accompanies the new.  I'm sadden by the closure that comes with moving.  Many people both in the church and the community have woven their lives into the fabric of my life.  Sadly, part of the reality of itinerancy is the the unraveling that occurs.  
In addition, I wonder about my colleagues that are moving.  I know that God is in their moves as much as mine.  However, do they or I when we are told that "______" UMC is receiving us realize that itinerancy is about service not fulfillment.  That salary raises or decreases are not really the benchmarks of our ministry.  Instead, its about bearing fruit.
Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to receive a church with with an increase, however, I realize that my sanctification needs to mature because I may not receive an increase.  For too long, we pastors have come to an expectation that our financial fruit must grow while we as a denomination have allowed the Church to diminish.  
At the end of the day, it's about the call.  Not from the DS, but from God.  Itinerancy is a reminder that we like our Savior have been called to serve and if necessary to lay our lives down for others.
Prayer:  My Lord, let me keep my eyes upon your eyes.  For in them, I see the reflection of the call to ministry in your Church.  Amen.

No comments: